Monday, October 18, 2010

Catch-22 to a Happy 25th

After graduating from college, I though life was going to be filled with opportunities and great things to come. To my dismay, it is quite the opposite. It turns out...this 22 year old is literally a catch-22. Now I know my critical self tends to lean towards satirical cliches, but this story does have a happy...well, beginning.
Yes, going to college and graduating with a degree is a fabulous accomplishment for anyone, however, graduating during the nation's recession can be slightly disheartening. I thought after my first job interview, I was going to be accepted into a prominent role in society, paid on salary, and the rest would be gravy. Professors, mentors, etc. in college love to tell you how your education will provide a foundation for success, but often times they forget to mention what a pain-in-the-ass searching for said success is.
I'm not blogging to vent on how I am still at my same part time job, living in my parents' basement, yadda yadda yadda...because you have all heard that story before. Instead, I'm trying to remain optimistic. Plus- now I actually have time to pursue things I LOVE to do!
Martha Stewart, however snide or bitchy you may believe her to be, has made quite an impact on my life. (I know what you're thinking---where the hell is she going with this? But I have a point, promise.) Ol' Marty is a successful entrepreneur, minus the jail time, and she knows how to make herself happy with simple things, a trait we should all strive for. Plus, I am quite the crafter/home decorator/time waster.
Event management was an emphasis of my college career. I love every aspect of the game from cooking up promotion to booking the caterer, and from writing a press release to mailing the thank you cards. With this said, I want to start sharing some of my more recent projects through my blog.
Tomorrow is my parents' 25th wedding anniversary. Besides being the greatest parents a girl could ask for, they are the hardest workers I know and the most selfless people you'll ever meet. If any couple deserves a party, it would be them. The party will be held this weekend in my father's home town of Walnut Grove, Minnesota on my uncle's private property and wildlife reserve. He has an amazing shed/house that is perfect for entertaining. I have been working on this project for about a month and a half now. Below are photos of the fall themed invitations...




Who knows, maybe someday I'll be getting paid to do what I love. Until then, I'll just do it anyways.

No comments:

Post a Comment