Monday, October 18, 2010

Before the snow falls...

My newest found passion has been refurbishing furniture. The quote that comes to mind is, "What is some people's junk, might be someone else's treasure." And let me tell you--I have a niche for taking old crap and turning it into new crap. In the fall, before the snow and ice cause us Minnesotan's to become hermits for half the year, it is the perfect time to throw on a pair of gloves, roll up my sleeves and get down and dirty with painting, sanding and varnishing my newly found gems from auctions, yard sales, or even junk piles.

I can't put my finger on what makes turning something that was once passed off as something old and unuseful into a new piece of art or furniture. I wouldn't call myself an artist or decorater, but more of a "recreator." I like the artistic process someone has to go through to come up with new zany ideas on how to turn an object into a new purposeful item with character. Here are a few of my most recent projects...


This is a dresser that I spray painted a dark charcoal and distressed.

Coffee Table with new top coat.

Old library desk. $3 at a yard sale, just add paint!

Our banister used to be dark brown and close up the kitchen. Now that it is white,
our kitchen looks twice the size!

I found an old picture and frame at our local thrift store and used chalkboard paint to make this classy and fun chalkboard!

No comments:

Post a Comment